John Wentz Oil Painting Video Workshop - "The Deconstructed Portrait"
“In this video workshop, I'll discuss and demonstrate my intention and process in creating a finished portrait in two sittings. Starting with what I look for in a model and a photo reference, I'll discuss composition and placement of the head-including various methods and intentions, how process and intent can guide your painting and exploring exaggeration in color and value as methods of expression. In the second sitting of the portrait, I'll demonstrate textures and layering as effects to enhance what I learned as “impact & payoff.” From beginning to end, I'm very much looking forward to sharing my approach to a deconstructed portrait.” - John Wentz
- Drawing and Structure on Paper (15:45)
- Color Mixing and Theory + Palette Layout (16:15)
- Portrait_01 Oil Painting on Paper (37:41)
- Portrait_01 Oil Painting on Paper Cont. (20:54)
- Drawing and Structure on Board (31:18)
- Portrait_02 Oil Painting on Board (49:05)
- Portrait_02 Oil Painting on Board Cont. (1:29:29)
- Bonus Content: Artist Decoded Podcast - John Wentz Interviewed by Yoshino (47:20)
- Unlimited Streaming @ 1080p
- Over 6 Hours of Instructional Content
John Wentz is a contemporary painter whose work is an exploration of process and technique. Working within the classical idiom of the human figure, his goal is to reduce and simplify the image to it’s core fundamentals: composition, color, and mark making. Paint application and brush strokes are broad and simplified as a means to connect and convey these ideas to the viewer in a way that only painting can.
John was born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area. His interest in art began at the age of 6 when he first discovered Batman and Spiderman comic books. After years of copying comics panel by panel he worked in the commercial arts as a muralist, billboard creator and freelance illustrator. After learning to paint by doing airbrushed billboards, he decided to pursue Fine Art and work in oils. Since then, he has had 3 solo exhibitions in San Francisco and numerous group exhibitions both nationally and internationally. His works have appeared in many publications and have won multiple awards.